The Official Lineage OS ROM hasn't been developed yet but they have been updating the source code in their GitHub Repository. The good news is that developers have been working around the clock to bring Lineage OS early to the Devices and ASUS Zenfone 5 has got its unofficial Lineage OS ROM.
Disclaimer:- This is an early build and may not be stable heck! it may not even boot. Have a complete backup before Flashing this. Try this at your own risk you could even brick your phone
Before Starting: Take care of following tasks before you proceed with flashing custom ROM:
Task 1: Install USB drivers for your device on your PC.
Task 2: Be sure to backup your data including Contacts, SMS / MMS, APN & MMS Settings as well as photos and videos stored on your device’s internal or external storage.
Task 3: USB Debugging should be enabled on your device.Charge your device first.Ideally, the battery level should be around 60-80%. The more the better.
Important: Most of the custom ROM will not have Google Apps in them. So, you will have to download and install GApps manually.
How to Install a Lineage os ROM using TWRP Recovery
- Download and transfer the Lineage os ROM and Gapps for linage os you wish to flash to your device’s storage.
- Boot your device into TWRP recovery.
“Wipe” from TWRP main menu and do a “Swipe to Factory Reset” on the bottom
└ Note: This will factory reset your device. If your custom ROM doesn’t require a factory reset, then simply skip this step.
- Go back to TWRP main menu, tap on “Install” and select the Lineage os ROM .zip file and gapps for lineage os that you transferred to your device in Step 1.
- After selecting the .zip file, do “Swipe to Confirm Flash” on the bottom of screen to begin the custom ROM installation process. This may take some time.
- Once your ROM is successfully flashed, you’ll see “Wipe cache/dalvik” option, select it and then do “Swipe to wipe” on bottom of screen.
- Once cache & dalvik wipe completes, hit the “Back” button on-screen and then select “Reboot System” button.